20 October 2008

The Falls in the Fall

Classes and teaching have been occupying most of my life lately, but I did manage to enjoy a weekend away from homework (for the most part).

Saturday was a busy day. The Anthropology Department held its annual Paleo-Picnic. Events included flint-knapping (stone tool making), archery, and butchering a pig using the stone tools we made that day. I didn't take part in the butchering surprisingly. I lectured about and dissected sheep brains all week, so I wasn't really in the mood to cut anything else up...


The weather was beautiful -- sun shining, about 60 degrees, a gentle breeze -- perfect fall day! I took advantage of the seasonal loveliness and went with a friend to Minnehaha Falls in the afternoon.




The falls are located about 15 minutes from where I live and are nestled within a large, lush park.









The first few photos are of the falls from the top. The water is pretty low this time of year, but the waterfall is still lovely.


I love how bright the colors are on the trees!













This is a sculpture which overlooks the falls. It has some sort of hair, maybe horse hair which makes it a little less cold compared to most sculpture and a little more natural/organic. I like it.

















This is a pretty little bridge near the base of the falls. It took a while to get a photo without people in it, but it was worth it.

The last two photos I like because you can see the vibrancy of the Fall here. I love how brilliant everything is.

It was great walking around here too because leaves covered the ground and smelled great! They also made a very definitive crunch, which I always enjoy...


















As you can see, it is a lovely Fall in Minneapolis. All I need now is some apple cider and I'll be a happy camper!

No comments: